<VV> LIFTER NOISE

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 01:04:26 EDT 2007

I have one minor light tapping on one bank after my long trip  last
> weekend--vairs adjust like small blocks--1/4 turn past  quiet?

In a message dated 4/4/2007 9:11:48 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca writes:

Isn't  the KIND of lifter important information as well?  Is he using a  stock
lifter, or a SBC, or a Souce Deep  Dimple?

Well, please let me add my opinions to the pile. First the 1/4 turn. That's
great,  but I want to be picky here  (ggg).     Let's go 1/4 turn in from ZERO
 LASH.   "Quiet" might not occur until the piston is bottomed on a  collapsed
lifter.

Now the range of adjustment ...

I haven't been able to check EVERY type of lifter now being sold, but of  the
five (plus stock) lifters i have checked, they ALL have about 0.130" piston
travel. That's a minimum. Some have a little more. Doing some calculations, it
 turns out that one turn of the rocker adjustment nut produces a piston
travel of  0.0625".

Thus, 1/4 turn is collapsing the piston only about 16 thou.  And  the total
piston travel allows about two full turns of the nut.

So, from an adjustment point of view, use any lifter you want because they
all have about the same range.

Regards,
Bob Helt