<VV> 1966 "Corvette Killer" Corvair built by GM Engineer on eBay

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Apr 13 19:11:02 EDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 4:00 PM, cjcavitt at comcast.net wrote:

> can someone shed some light on this car for me cause i dont
> understand. he makes it sound like it was build by GM but wasnt it
> just built by someone that worked at GM? if so than why is he stating
> that it is the rarest vair ever? and the most unique? ect.... isnt it
> just another V*-wair that someone built? I dont get why he says its so
> speacal and why it's getting so much attention, any input would be
> great. curt

As Dave Foster posted, this car is said to have sold for $20k at BJ
recently. Last October it was on ebay with an opening bid of $50k. No
one bid it. I presume that owner is the person who finally sold it at
BJ for $20k and the new owner is now trying to make a bundle on it,
which it appears he will do.

I understand Craig Kemler, the man who built it, is the Kemler of
Kelmark Engineering in Okemos, Michigan, just East of Lansing.
Apparently Craig worked at Oldsmobile in Lansing. I don't know what
Oldsmobile had to do with the development of this car. I'd guess Craig
made a lot of drawings at work or had a buddy in the drafting
department do them.

The car looks like it was done right. You're better off having a car
with an odd engine, such as the Olds, that's done right, than a car
that some guy just cut up and dropped an old 327 in.

It's believable that the Olds makes 600+ horsepower. It's also
believable that full use of those horses would destroy the apparent
Corvair drivetrain very easily. One could surmise that Craig used this
as a development car for the Kelmark kit or perhaps it was done after
that was already developed. Too bad he didn't look into a stronger
transaxel.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina