<VV> Electric Power for Corvairs?

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Tue Apr 17 14:18:01 EDT 2007

I'm not familiar with the rampside per se so I may be wrong but usually 6
volt batteries are used because they can sustain, without damage a higher
current draw than a 12 volt battery of the same physical size.

Power is volts times amps. In very rough terms volts will give you engine
speed but amps will give you torque.

I took a look at the specs on the full size electric airplane that is
powered by a modern DC brushless motor and fuelled by a combination of
lithium ion batteries and a fuel cell. Both are used at take off and it
flies on fuel cells alone.

Practically speaking us amateurs are stuck with lead acid batteries but we
could take advantage of the efficiencies (80% plus) and relatively light
weight of the brushless motor approach. Motors and controllers are available
"off the shelf" in a variety of sizes. It's not cheap of course but then
nothing at the cutting edge is.

Until they started to come down in price many people in the electric R/C
airplane hobby were making their own brushless motors and there are in fact
a number of kits available. One idea I had to cut costs was simply scaling
up one of the kits and build one myself. You still need to buy a controller
of course (not cheap either). Anyway, it's just an idea, maybe hair brained
but worth at least some research.

Bob