<VV> Brakes MC

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Apr 17 21:51:18 EDT 2007

Dual MCs are great, but not easily adapted to an early early. The MC
mounts inside the car, not trunk.

Also, things still happen. Like the common "time for a MC replacement"
warning when the brake pedal falls slowly to the floor with slight pedal
pressure. This occurs both on single and dual MC.

Twice I had total failure on a dual system. The first time the car was a
daily driver. The brakes seemed "different", but good pedal so I paid no
attention. Later (months...) I step on the pedal hard for a changing
light and to the floor we go. Only through use of headlights, horn and
steering did I navigate the 70 Buick Estate wagon through the
intersection loaded with other cars. Not enough time/ distance to use
parking brake.

Autopsy showed front brake line had rusted and burst with the high pedal
pressure. Hint: hard HARDER test is good even for daily drivers. The odd
feeling brakes was crud built up in the MC and blocked the port to the
rear wheels. They had stopped working. 4400 pound car seemed almost to
stop OK on front drums alone for months. Shows what poor brakes they are
to begin with...

That was 19 years ago. About 2 years ago, car not in service, went to
move it in the yard and pedal again went to the floor. Of course I was
almost still at the time and expecting trouble. Yep, both a rear and
front line had rusted while parked.

Back to Corvair content. Despite my total failure with dual MCs, I do
install them on Corvairs I intend to drive and not show as stock. I just
remember to pay attention to "Odd" changes in brake behavior.

Frank DuVal