<VV> Late Model Differences

Bill Chellis chelvis at camano.net
Sun Apr 22 14:56:56 EDT 2007

Good afternoon:

Some time ago I asked one of the Corvair historians for some info on 1965-1966 Corvair differences.
Regrettably my records are such that I don't have the original message, but the following info came from
either Dave Newell or Dave Trull. And since it is long, I'll post only the changes to the body.

Listed below are the changes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the little write up on the changes that occurred for the 65-66 model years. There are 117 differences/changes. If you can think of any others, let me know and I'll add them to the list.
Bigwave Dave

Changes to 1966 model year from 1965 model year *

Items include those first offered in the 1966 model year and items that were put into production during the transition between the 1965 and 1966 model year. This list contains items and changes generally considered to be 1966 in nature but, many were running changes that occurred towards the end of the 1965 model year and therefore can be found on a number of late production 1965 Corvairs. Also a few items were first make available later in the 1966 model year and will not be found on all 1966 models. When possible, dates for running changes are included. Dates on running changes were gathered from the 1965 and 1966 assembly manuals. The dates listed represent the date the changes were incorporated into the assembly manual with a revision. I believe these dates should be viewed as a ballpark figure, give or take a week or two, on when the changes took effect. Although the changes may have actually occurred on the dates listed in the assembly manual, it appears unlikely that GM would be so precise with running changes. Corvairs were also produced in three different plants during the 1965 and 1966 model years, (Willow Run, Van Nuys, Oshawa). You would do well to assume that they did not occur at precisely the same time at all three plants.

(1966 represented the last year for Van Nuys, California and Oshawa Canada built Corvairs, , all subsequent Corvairs were all built at Willow Run).

BODY

1) New style tail light lenses (wedding band style on early 66s)
2) New style rear lower exhaust grill.
3) New style trim insert for redesigned lower exhaust grill for Corsa models
4) No pinstriping on beltline of Corsa model.
5) New style Monza cross
6) New plastic front "spoiler" lower valance
7) New style "wide" chrome lock trim piece with blue instead of red center.
8) Corvair script relocated from hood to front panel. (three instead of two prongs)
9) New style standard hubcaps with new design plastic inserts
10) New style one piece wheel well trim
11) Different trunk lock cylinder
12) Restyled thinner "look" rocker trim
13) Front aluminum headlight bezels have minor change. (added weep hole)
14) Remote mirror style changed to the "1967" style ( 03/02/66)
15) (most 66 models had the older style which moved the entire head when adjusting)
16) Headlight backing plate changed
17) Sheet metal box on air inlet shelf now gone.
18) New style rear hood emblems for 110hp emblem (new mounting holes on rear hood.
Fits newer 110hp emblem only)
19) New style rear hood emblems for 140hp emblem (new mounting holes on rear hood. Fits newer 140hp emblem only)
20) New style rear hood emblems for 180hp emblem (same mounting holes as all 1965 rear hood emblems)
21) New improved firewall mounting for steering column to improve safety
22) Less spot welds on body
23) New style outside rearview mirror (nonremote)
24) Trunk splatter paint color darker on 1966 Van Nuys built Corvairs
25) Gas tank strainer removed (according to GM parts catalog)
26) Attaching screws for tunnel pan changed. (01/04/66) '65 part # 9417881 '66 part # 9421479
27) Front hood spring retainer has 2 screws on 65's and only 1 on 66's
28) Steel floor plugs no longer have a notch on opposing sides like the 1965 models.
29) Lower heater hose straps mounting position changed
30) Speedometer cable routed differently. (07/09/65) The cable is routed under the brake line on 1965 models and over the brake line on 1966 models. (See assembly manual for details)
31) Front license plate mounting frame changed. 1965 models had only round holes to mount plate. This required a nut and bolt to install the plate. 1966 models have square holes for plastic inserts, which require only a bolt to screw into the insert.
32) Different routing of AC lines in body.

redesigned.