<VV> Air-cooled alternatives

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Apr 30 22:23:49 EDT 2007

At 03:27 PM 4/30/2007, Bill Elliott wrote:
>The Tatra guys in Canada (the ones that supplied the 603's to the
>Jim Carrey movie) have a 3.5L 613 engine for sale. About $5k. Not
>sure if it's new enough to be injected.
>
>Interestingly, the 2.5L air cooled hemi V8 in the 603's makes about
>the same power as a Corvair engine... about 100 net.
>
>I sold my Tatra (in part) due to my fears of crunching a transaxle
>or an engine... repair/replacement costs are Ferrari-priced...

Likewise those "German alternatives".    *I* sure as Hell can't
afford to go that route.

If I wanna stuff something into a Corvair in place of what was there
to begin with, there will be "alternatives" that get written off
simply because I don't have the thousands of bucks up front necessary
to play that game, and that's just the parts, before the costs of the
mods start to accumulate.

...better off to just stick with the Corvair engine to begin with
unless you want to experience pain in the wallet.

tony..