<VV> Safe and Fun at any Speed

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Apr 30 20:41:18 EDT 2007

OK, you have all just seen my recent post on why I don't like RH outside
door mirrors (I make exceptions for pulling a trailer).  Let's summarize
what I DO like about my 1964 Corvairs:

-Single master Brake Cylinder (simple, works well, fewer parts to break)
-Long Shaft one-piece steering shaft (ditto)
-No head rests (improved rear-visibility)
-Rear Seat belts optional (not there cluttering up my car)
-No Air Bags (that's what the trunk is for!)
-No anti-lock brakes (so I can skid-steer if I want to)
-No power brakes (who needs them!)
-No power steering (ditto!)
-No computer (I get enough of that here and at work!)
-No clock (who cares about time when driving a Corvair?)
-Shiny chrome bumpers (to dazzle the drivers behind me!)
-Shiny wiper arms (to dazzle me!)
-Direct Air Heater (to let me know when I have an oil leak!)
-Ignition Points (as God intended!)
-Manual Fuel Pump (Gas + Electricity = Bad Idea!)
-Valves adjusted Cold - Once and only once!

That's why I like my Corvair!

Now, when I want to drive a car loaded with lawsuit-inspired
government-mandated fuel-gobbling accessories of dubious safety value I
drive my Dodge Caravan.  You want safe or do you want fun?

Bill Hubbell