<VV> Manifold heat soak

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sat Aug 4 06:05:42 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kepler" <jekepler at amplex.net>
Subject: RE: <VV> Manifold heat soak

> The only place I've ever seen an aluminum exhaust manifold was on a boat
> motor where they could be cooled with LOTS of water.....otherwise they
just
> melt/burn!  FWIW, an aluminum sauce pan full of boiling water has already
> lost 80% of its strength....it's a good material, but it has limits, and
an
> exhaust manifold exceeds them by several orders of magnitude!
>
> John
*********

Although in our 2 strokes, we almost always use aluminum headers ..... with
no melt downs.... although we are probably close to that, & often.

Also, remember ::: the corvair heads themselves are aluminum ......   and
the piston tops ...   heh heh you would think maybe the exhaust passages
would do a sort of "thermal wash honing ... ", but apparently not ....

*********
If we run lots of nitromethane and too lean, I have seen the top edges of
our pistons ( 2 strokes ) burnt off ( rounded ) .... but never massive melt
downs ...

just some thoughts.. ken campbell, deltawerkes