<VV> The Marvelous Corvair

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 23:28:42 EDT 2007

                                       B"H

Well, today I put my Monza on the ramps I just bought,
and pulled the lower shrouds so I could get a better
look at the head and exhaust manifolds.

What a marvelous piece of engineering that drivetrain
is!  It's simple and effective, compact and easy to
work on...I was VERY impressed.  I saw how the
thermostat and shrouds work together to keep the
engine cool, and how the pushrod tubes are installed
in the engine.

What a damn shame the public didn't know what a
wonderful piece of machinery the Corvair is...if sales
had been strong, Nader notwithstanding, the car might
have been with us a few more years...maybe even today.
 Hey, if we can build computers the size of shoebox
and put a man on the moon, and land our hardware on
Mars, why can't we build an air-cooled engine that
will meet safety/emissions standards?

I'm glad I got one (thank G-d!)...I hope to keep her
for many years in good shape.  I've got lots more work
to do, but it's been enjoyable working on her, and of
course, MUCH more fun driving her!  I've done the
following over the past few weeks:

1.  New fuzzies all around
2.  Replaced factory clock with quartz unit)
3.  Replaced door lock button washers, and added the
correct 69 center dash padding
4.  Fixed turn signal/brake light problems with new
cancelling cam/switch (Boyne)
5.  Replaced the small black PG shifter knob with a
large padded T-handle (new, original GM, designed for
87 Monte Carlo THM floor shifer) - this is VERY cool!
6.  I'm installing carpeting on the fold-down seat and
rear package shelft (from Clark's) to cover the worn
out cardboard
7.  New crossover pipe and muffler

Regards to my fellow Vairers...Bill Hershkowitz 69
Monza 110 PG