<VV> Fan/ Cooling idea from a newbie....

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 15:52:11 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/10/2007 9:34:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jwilson at unctv.org writes:

Okay,  I'm no engineer, but....

If I had been designing these cars back in  1959 (the year I was
born, by the way), I'd have done it this  way....

Ram-air scoops on the back fenders... a  THERMOSTATICALLY
controlled fan (running off the engine via belts) on  top.

At 'speed', ram-air flows over the engine for cooling- fan does  not
turn. At start-up, since engine is cool- fan does not turn, PLUS  no
ram-air, so everything heats up quickly. At low speeds/ stoplights
as  engine gets HOT fan comes on... until you start to move again
(ram air  flows, engine cools, thermostatic clutch lets loose).

The only place  this system falls apart that I can think of would be a long
slow hill  climb.... But the factory system seems to fall down in this
instance
also.

Advantages: at speed (when more power is needed) fan does NOT  turn
at all, robbing NO power from the engine.

Feasable?

CJ  Wilson

Possibly--but with a manual override on the thermostatic device so that the
fan can be turned ON on that long slow hill climb.

Scotty from Hollyweird