<VV> Fuse Warning (non-Corvair)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 00:48:08 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/16/2007 4:17:41 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
burkhard at rochester.rr.com writes:

The root  of the problem in both cases turned out to be the use of a
replacement 15A  blade fuse that did not properly blow at the rated
15A.  The GM  engineers obtained the fuses the customers had used (in
both cases made in  China and sold through Harbor Freight in a boxed
assortment) and tested  them.  The 15A fuses they tested didn't "pop"
until over 50A!   By this time, the fuse itself was a melted blob and
the wires was really  hosed.

Interesting, Jim.
And thanks for informing us but I respectfully dispute your contention that
the root of that burned harness problem is the faulty fuses. Something other
than the fuses HAD to cause these burned harnesses. Yes, the fuses should have
 protected the harnesses when there was excessive current flowing in the
harnesses, but the fuses were not the cause of the burning. They just failed to
protect the harnesses from some other problem. There was something else that
caused these harnesses to burn and that is the root of the problem in my
opinion.
Regards,
Bob Helt