<VV> OK is it true or not ?

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Aug 22 23:12:55 EDT 2007

The last actual rear engine mount failure I know of was in June of
2003.  Paul Piche had a 66-69 mount fail in his 68 Ultra
Van.  Fortunately, he was stopped at a stoplight when the engine
stopped running.  The engine would crank but not start (the coil wire
was broken).  When he went back to the rear of the coach and opened
the engine cover doors, the rear of engine was on the street.  The
"ears" from the mount to the bolts had both stress cracked and
separated.  The next week I checked my 68 Ultra Van and found I had
one ear of the engine mount separated and the other one had a crack
showing.  Bob Galli also found a bad .66-69 mount on his 69 Ultra
Van.  Most Ultra Vanners now safety cable their engine mounts to the
bulkhead.  I switched to Jeff Brekke's mounts in all my late model Corvairs.
To answer your question,  if the rear mount fails or the cotter pin
left out of an early style mount and the engine drops down at
Interstate speed, it can beak the drive shafts at the universals.
This stress will break the front transmission mounts and
......    Less just say you are along for an interesting ride.
Jim Davis