<VV> Classic Cars?

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 23:02:24 EDT 2007

                                         B"H

It can certainly be said that the CCCA does NOT have a
copyright on the term, "Classic," although they can
certainly limit those models of vehicles that they
consider to be "CCCA-certified classic."

I don't believe the 1957 Chevy is considered to be a
"CCCA Classic," although most Americans upon seeing
one, would say, "Hey, that's a classic!"  Many folks I
meet on the road have told me that my Corvair is a
"Classic," which, of course, makes me feel all nice
and happy that they consider my car thus, despite
CCCA's opinion that they don't consider my car to be
worthy of their roster.

I don't care.  It's true that a '69 Monza, despite its
engineering uniqueness and excellence, and its
historical significance in American automotive
history, probably will never be worth as much as 1930
Packard 745 Roadster, but to me and to Chevy fans,
Sixties fans, and of course my fellow Vair fans, it's
a cool machine.

Isn't that all that counts?  Let them "be that way,"
as my kids would say.  I can subscribe to Collectible
Automobile and see articles on everything from a 1930
American-built Rolls-Royce, to a 1966 Jensen
Interceptor, all the way to a 1967 Plymouth Valiant.
And, of course, they did at least one comprehensive
article on the Corvair.

Matt, I'd say cancel your subscription and save your
money for something you'd like to upgrade on your
Vair.

Regards...Bill Hershkowitz (Fellow LICA member!) 69
Monza 110 PG

On  another note for those of us who subscribe to
Hemmings Classic Car, is  anyone besides me getting
tired of reading David Schultz's column?
 He just goes on and on about the CCCA considers a
classic. until I'm sick  of hearing it.  It's as if
nobody else is entitled to call their car  a classic,
because it hasn't been mandated a classic by  CCCA.

Yes; a magazine I tend to devour cover to cover, but
find the snobbism inherent in this guy's attitude to
be out of character with all the other articles
> and features.

> I remember thinking that while I enjoy reading the
articles about classes and types of cars that I have
no personal interest in ever owning in
that magazine - this guy makes it clear that he and
the CCCA people  would have no interest in the
"common" cars that fill the rest of the magazine.

Cars that were built to a price point. Guess what? My
house wasn't  built using only the finest materials
and workmanship and  a money-is-no-object budget
either; but I enjoy making it as nice as it can  be.
And the fact that mansion dwellers might scoff at it
doesn't make me  any less proud of it. Ditto my
Corvair.