Newb Reference Material - was: RE: <VV> Engine ID

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 14:47:30 EDT 2007

<<Doug said:

a) The assembly manual for the year vehicle you have
b) The P&A 30 parts book (which has good illustrations to help you figure out
how things go together)>>

<<#1) Beginner's Manual (comes free with a CORSA Membership, eh!)
#2) How To Keep Your Corvair Alive
#3) CORSA Tech Guide and Supplements>>

I think both of these are good, although I think the "How to keep your
Corvair Alive" is just a tad bit over rated... I've gotten much more info from Bob
Helt's books than I could have ever imagined... the Tech Guides are great, and
little things like the Junkyard Primer and the San Diego Club's "Vair Tips"
booklets are filled with some great info (although there's a lot of "dated" info
there too...)...
So my list would be:  (and the * means Year of Car)

1) *Shop Manual (and required suppliment, if needed)
2) *Assembly Manual
3) P&A 30C (no later than 72 for LMs, 65 for EMs, and a 61 just for giggles)
4) CORSA Tech Guide & Sup.
5) Beginners Manual (if a beginner, a MUST, but great info none the less)
6-8) Bob Helt's Corvair books: The Classic Corvair, Corvair Secrets, and that
"How to" Carb book he just put out...
9) Junkyard Primer (to make sure the part numbers are right for what you're
doing)
10) Vair Tips (San Diego Club's booklets)
11) Care & Feeding of your Corvair (another small booklet filled with good
info)
12) Stop Corvair Lubricant Leaks (another good booklet, although it is filled
with common sense)
13) *Chevrolet Accessory Installation Manual

Yeah, thats a bit of money just for books, and I've amassed this collection
over a period of 17 years (along with a bunch of other Corvair books that are
specific on other things), but I wouldn't want to tear into an engine rebuild
without the first 8, although I've done it with only the first 4....

Good luck Mel... and remember there's a bunch of knowledgeable people here if
you ever have a question...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Kentucky Corvair
1961 Greenbrier
1963 Greenbrier
1964 700 sedan
1969 Monza coupe FOR SALE