<VV> Diff Still Blowing Lube Out Vent

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 1 15:23:19 EST 2007

Hi Mike,

My guess is that you have a couple of leaks in the gasket or stub axle
seals.  Is the vent on yours toward the driver's front of the cover or
passenger rear?  Driver's front is the newer design and was changed due to
seepage out of the vent at higher speeds.  Even with the old design with the
vent toward the passenger rear, you should only get a little seepage and not
like what you are experiencing.

Rereading your post, you've had the top cover off so unlikely it is the
gasket.  Is it possible that at one time, the carrier bearings were replaced
via the method described in the GM shop manual?  They recommend drilling
holes behind the bearing cups and using a drift to tap them out and then
plugging the holes with lead.  Could it be coming from there?

Another possibility is a cracked differential case.  Lets hope it is not
that!

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!