<VV> Kovacs

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Dec 7 15:50:15 EST 2007

At 06:43 AM 12/7/2007, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:
>  Yes, and I kind of remember some sort of conflict with someone just
>before he left.

I did some digging on this a few years ago.   According to his wife
Edie Adams, he had been in a big hurry to attend to some
"aggravating" domestic issues regarding his kids from the previous
marriage to his mentally unstable ex-wife who had actually kidnapped
the children once before after the courts had awarded him sole
custody, and he had left the get-together in a rush, fearing that
there might be more similar trouble from the ex-wife.

Ms Adams said that Kovacs had, "as usual", been without sleep for a
long time, had been working long hours which was typical of the
comedian seeing as how he was going through IRS issues, thus worked
many long hours in attempts to satisfy the tax man, and was tired by
the time he had arrived at the party being hosted by his friend
Milton Berle.   He called (or received a call) about his kids while
at the party and whatever it was had caused him to become alarmed and
he left in a hurry, taking Edie's station wagon instead of his own car.

>  He took the Corvair, which was his wife's car, and
>left his Rolls at the party.  The pictures of the car showed high
>speed severe damage and it hit on a front corner ... not characteristic
>of an over-steer accident.

Actually, photos of the car show severe sideways impact damage to the
driver side, buckled the roof and bent the unit construction
badly.   There was no front end collision damage evident.   The
driver side front door was crumpled into a wad and jammed up into the
interior of the car, displacing where Kovacs would have been
seated.   The driver side back door skin was torn off the door, or
had been pulled off by efforts to extricate Kovacs from the vehicle
after the fact.   The front seat was buckled and bowed upward almost
into the dash, and the roof skin was crumpled into a pyramid
shape.   The windshield frame was badly distorted and the windshield
itself was thrown out of the car completely.    One good look at the
photos of the car demonstrate that anyone in the driver's seat was
unlikely to have survived the accident which had to have happened at
a high rate of speed to have bent the car that badly.

According to investigators, Kovacs had approached a curve in the
dark, going much too fast following a heavy rain storm (although
according to the police report it had stopped raining at the time of
the accident) and the car simply slid off the wet road and went
sideways into a large utility pole.

Other comments from participants at the Berle home suggested that
Kovacs had consumed "a drink or two" that evening but did
not appear to have been impaired.

In any event, the make/model of the car was not a factor.   At the
speed the car had been going when it hit the pole, it would have left
the road regardless of whether it had been a Corvair or anything
else.    In fact, at one time not very long after the accident, his
wife had stated in an interview that the car had not  been at fault,
that Kovacs simply was driving too fast in bad conditions.

...many years later, Edie Adams supposedly changed that position and
in another interview suggested that the fact that it was a Corvair
may have been an issue in the accident.     It's likely that the
scuttlebutt as regards Nader and his book etc could have influenced
her comments.

That's about all I really know about the incident.

tony..