<VV> engine cooling/engine "mayo"

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 12:28:40 EST 2007

never heard that a too cold Corvair engine was the root cause behind
dropping a valve seat -- too cold of a seat in a hot engine, yes.  of
course, I suppose seats can come out under all sorts of odd
circumstances, but I would not expect the cold to be the cause.

yes, it needs to warm up -- thermostats do actually have a purpose.

On mayo -- I really think the Corvair has a very poorly designed PCV
system, with no airfow through the crankcase. GM just probably had
trouble building an 'affordable to produce' system that wouldn't suck
too much oil out of our little flat motors, so what we have is just that
-- the 'cheap'system. probably needs a oil seperator can with drain back
system.  More like that aircraft guy's fuel pump conversion thingy ...

mo,

Bill Strickland