<VV> Looking for a core engine...

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 17 15:42:16 EST 2007

Ryan,
   If the engine was running, it means that the weld repair was successful, Chances are that this is a factory repair done decades ago. I'd just go for it the way it is. If it ain't broke... don't fix it. All machining was done after the repair.

   ex jet engine forging designer

Ryan Mueller <rmueller23 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Good evening all,

I am looking for a '65 - '69 110hp core engine. I was in the process of teardown and cleaning on the core I was rebuilding and found that the crankcase had been weld repaired above one of the pair of lifter bores; thusly it is no longer useful to me for anything other than a mockup engine case. I put some pics of this up on Flickr in case anyone is curious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21893509@N07/

We currently live in Chicago, although my wife has family in Elgin, IL (northwest suburbs), which is where the engine will end up. Might anyone have a line on where we could locate another core in Northern IL/Chicagoland area? The engine need not be running or pretty, just complete and in halfway decent shape. It's going to be completely torn down and overhauled. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, and have a good evening,

Ryan