<VV> Looking for a core engine...

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Dec 17 16:00:10 EST 2007

At 03:42 PM 12/17/2007, Michael Kovacs wrote:
>Ryan,
>    If the engine was running, it means that the weld repair was
> successful, Chances are that this is a factory repair done decades
> ago. I'd just go for it the way it is. If it ain't broke... don't
> fix it. All machining was done after the repair.
>
>    ex jet engine forging designer
>

>Ryan Mueller <rmueller23 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Good evening all,
>
>I am looking for a '65 - '69 110hp core engine. I was in the process
>of teardown and cleaning on the core I was rebuilding and found that
>the crankcase had been weld repaired above one of the pair of lifter
>bores; thusly it is no longer useful to me for anything other than a
>mockup engine case. I put some pics of this up on Flickr in case
>anyone is curious:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/21893509@N07/

I second the motion.   Use it and go on with it.   It's fine.

I must have had 3 or 4 cylinder heads, and two crankcases, with weld
repairs on them to correct casting imperfections, apparently all
factory-performed since they're underneath what appears to be
original machining.  One of the heads on my '60 4-door has a weld
bead along the side of the intake log that must be 6 inches
long.   It has managed to last almost 50 years now without a problem.

Don't sweat a weld repair on a Corvair casting.   If it's done right,
it's every bit as strong as the original casting was intended to be
and since the factory appeared to have done these welds, you could
lay money on their having been done right and I'd not worry about
them for a moment.

Hell, when I see a Corvair casting with a weld bead on it, I never
give it a 2nd thought because I've seen them before.

tony..