<VV> EPA and old car restoration

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 20 21:49:22 EST 2007

I don't recall seeing this mentioned before in VV, but if it has forgive me
for mentioning it again.  It's been crazy this time of year and I haven't
been keeping up with VV these past few weeks, but felt this should be
brought to the attention of the group.

Has anybody read the Editors column (page 6) in the February issue of
Hemming's Classic Car?  If you haven't you need to find a copy and read it.
It pertains to an EPA regulation that they snuck through on us that will
affect those who want to paint/prime their own cars.  It seems that EPA
proposed regulations are only posted on the EPA website.  This one had a 30
day period to file objections to it that ended in September.

Basically what this regulation says, it that no-one will be allowed to spray
a toxic finish - i.e. autobody paint - outside the confines the confines of
a properly filtered spray booth.

Another source states that by 2011 the EPA is looking into restricting the
sale of autobody paints to only those who are certified to use the product.

There's much more detail in the article pertaining to this.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD