Fwd: Re: <VV> High Volume Oil pump

Eric Aos ericaos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 13:39:00 EST 2007

  There is a time and a place for High Volume / High Pressure Pumps.
  I put a High Volume pump in the old pickup I had instead of rebuilding the motor so it would have oil pressure until it went down the road.
  I put a High Pressure pump in the 455 Buick race motor I built, it has something like 3-1/2 main bearing. Once the oil is inside the main journal, it has to overcome centripital force trying to push it back out the way it came in.
  I don't see either issue in my Corvair though.
  Eric

Garth Stapon <corvair2 at earthlink.net> wrote:

I had a conversation with a flat tracker and his dyno showed that running the high volume oil pump cost him HP. His solution was to add a large remote storage and run synthetic oil as he felt it improved cooling and flow without the need to upgrade the pump capacity.

This is one mans view, but he did validate his theory with his water pumper on a dyno. Can not remember how much power it cost him, but it was enough for him to reinstall the stock oil pump.

How that applies to an air cooled motor is open to discussion.

Regards, Garth
Late Power Glide Sedans Rule