<VV> Jacking instructions

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 23 18:57:24 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/23/2007 3:39:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ed.orbea at gmail.com writes:

Also,  what method do people use to ensure the side that is on the
jackstands,  doesn't shift when the other side is jacked up?

Sorry, for the  questions, but I an brand new to Corvairs and their
unique  requirements/configurations.

Ed

Ed - Watch the jackstands. If they are the triangular type, you will see
vertical movement of a leg if the load is beginning to shift. Also, be  sure you
provide the floorjack with a clean area on which to roll. If you do,  the
floorjack will move a bit to allow the weight to shift a bit as the car goes  up,
maintaining a good load on the "close-side" jackstands. The second lifting
side will rise in an arc - or it should - around the top contact point of the
close-side jackstand. If the jack gets stuck, there will be a sideays load on
that point. A further note, If you have a welded-in roll bar or roll cage, the
 reinforcement plate under the main hoop is the perfect place to lift.  I
have found, for adequate safety, I do not life to full height (like engine
removal height) on one lift. Moving back side to side several times lessens the
amount of shift. The last lift should be followed with a short, load clearing
mini-lift on the other side to remove any side loads. - Seth  Emerson