<VV> VDO Gauges-charging system

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 12:47:10 EST 2007

Timothy,
    Using a digital voltmeter (or multimeter) that you  can get for $20 or
less, wire it up to a cigarette lighter plug-in and put it in  the cigarette
lighter socket.  This will give you an accurate reading while  you're driving.
It should be around 14.5 (or even higher) on cold start  and taper off to
abound 14.0 on steady running, unless you "load up" the system  with a big power
drain.  In that case it shouldn't drop down below about  13.5 volts.  You can
check the accuracy of the installed gauge and see if  it becomes erratic.  Don't
expect even new factory installed gauges to be  accurate - the one that came
on my new GM Pontiac TransSport consistently reads  nearly a full volt LOW.
But as long as it's consistent, I can do the  mental correction even with my
aged brain.<GGGGG>
    Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Frank "gauges are good" Burkhard

In a message dated 12/23/2007 9:50:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,