<VV> The Last Corvair Home From Lime Rock

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Dec 28 17:32:10 EST 2007

The NECC's Lime Rock event was in August.  Today, December 28, the
last Corvair arrived home.

In August, longtime NECC supporter Al Lacki drove his 1966 Monza
coupe to Lime Rock from his home in Pennsylvania.  On the evening
before the track event, following the car show, Al and a friend drove
over to Falls Village, to see the site of John Fitch's original
shop.  An easy, ten-minute ride on country roads.  On the way back to
the hotel, something went wrong with the engine.

Al limped the car back to the hotel, and limped it to the track the
next morning.  There, some basic exploratory surgery proved that it
was not going to be something easy such as a broken rocker arm.  The
decision was made to trailer the car to Al Goldstone's shop, about 20
miles away.  Brian O'Neill graciously left his race car sitting on
the Lime Rock grounds at the end of the day and transported Al's car,
returning to the track in darkness to collect his race car.  I drove
Al back to my home in New Jersey, then lent him my car to get home to
Pennsylvania.

Al Goldstone tore down the engine, and found what is becoming more
familiar in 110 engines:  A dropped valve seat.  Because the car is
41 years old and the engine had never been apart, Al Lacki ordered up
a thorough rebuild.  Al Goldstone completed that rebuild and today Al
Lacki and I made the trip to Connecticut to retrieve the car.

We drove my '66 500 coupe to Connecticut, swapping it for the
repaired car so that Al Goldstone could perform some elective work on
my car.  On our way back home we realized that the trip represented
the last Corvair coming home from Lime Rock.  2007 marked the 35th
and final NECC event at Lime Rock, and so Al's car, driven to the
track in August for that event, was now being driven home from it.

While that realization rekindled the bittersweet memory of the NECC
at Lime Rock, the good news is that the rebuilt engine runs
great!  Only the crankcase and crankshaft were re-used.  Bruce
Carlton prepared new 110 heads, with mild porting and 140 exhaust
tubes.  A warm street cam was selected and parts came from familiar
vendors far and wide.  The result is the healthiest 110 I can recall
experiencing.  Al had a ball driving his reinvigorated car back
home.  I enjoyed spending a day on a Corvair road trip that used one
Corvair going one way and a second Corvair going the other way.  Lots
of thumbs-up for both cars, and perhaps most gratifying, lots of
interested stares from kids and teenagers, not just old folks who
remember that Nader guy.

Happy New Year, everyone.

--Bob