<VV> Re: Frame Under / Body Swaps

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Feb 6 00:58:11 EST 2007

Welcome to the group.

It doesn't soumd like you are proposing rebuilding a Corvair. You seem
to be rebodying another car with Corvair sheetmetal.

Power brakes and power steering was never offered on a Corvair because
it is not needed even in racing applications. Front disc conversions are
available for extreme racing applications. Stock Corvair setup should be
more than great for any driving a new driver should do. Which leads to
why the huge engine idea? So the tree can come at him faster?

As others mentioned, use a rust bucket for this conversion. DO NOT cut
up a rust free car to create something only you would want. Customs have
very low resale value. Stock or lightly modified restored Corvairs will
bring the most money. Check eBay completed sales for reference.

And on the subject of saftey, newer vehicles steer too easily and
quickly. Sure it is great for parking, but it is too easy to overcorrect
when a wheel drops off the pavement. Just look at the accident (crash)
statistics at how many single vehicle crashes are a result of
overcorrection. The newer drivers ed manuals say not to use the old 10
and 2 hand locations because of the ease of turning the wheel, put your
hands at 5/7 or 4/8. It is much more difficult to overcorrect a stock
Corvair. 10/2 works just fine, and parking is easy!

Save headaches? Do a stock or slightly modified rebuild. Or just have
him drive a modern car!  Rebodying a car is a labor of love, not a way
to get a car on the road without headaches.

Frank DuVal