<VV> Two questions, cowel removal and engine compartment gasket (1963 Spyder convertible)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Feb 13 18:29:02 EST 2007

The cowl panel comes off with the trunk lid on. But it is a tight fit.
Masking tape, easily removable type ( not cheap hardware store stuff),
to cushion areas that touch helps. Try holding the lid open at different
angles. Some are not easy.

I use wire to simulate the staples and it works fine and looks stock. I
have seen many a pop riveted installation, so choose your choice of
weapons! Wire is stocked by some Corvair vendors in the proper size. An
ice pick helps open the holes for the wire, and needle nose pliers are
used to bend it into staple shapes.

BTW, there are tools available to make the wiper arm removal easier.
Soaking the splines in your favorite spray lube also helps. If there is
any paint on the splines, remove it now.

Frank DuVal