Registering, was: <VV> Surviving '69 Convertibles / Registry

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 22:38:18 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/13/2007 5:08:27 P.M. Central Standard Time,
airvair at richnet.net writes:

Suppose,  for example, I had parted out a '69 convert (and
I have, BTW) and saved all  the components, including body and VIN tags.
Then I got a cherry '68 (or  maybe an earlier one) convert, and dressed
it out with the '69's stuff.  Then registered it. (Note that the parts I
salvaged were not, nor ever will  be used like that.) What then?

You would, theoretically, go to jail. It is a felony to tamper with a VIN.
Now if you were to sell the car a represent it as a 69 and the buyer found out
that it wasn't, you could then be sued for fraud.

But I know no one would ever do that....

Ned