<VV> Still wanna go bias?!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 00:41:19 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/18/2007 9:28:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

One  negative ride trait of bias-ply tires is what's called "standing set."
This means vehicles equipped with bias-ply tires that stand still
for long periods, without being driven, develop flat areas on the
tread face.

As I recall, that is a characteristic of Nylon construction, not  necessarily
bias-ply tires. The bias-ply tires that came as standard tires on  most cars
were Rayon, not Nylon, because Nylon took a "set" and would thump,  thump,
thump until they warmed up. Not what you wanted on the new-car test  drive! Rayon
construction didn't do this. This is in reference to 50's and early  60's
tires. I can say that the Nylon Bias-ply Race tires do the same, but our  race
cars ride so rough that we never notice it, and we do tend to warm up  the tires
pretty quickly!  - Seth Emerson