(followup) Re: Alternatives Re: <VV> Rebulding Retard?

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 14:34:15 EST 2007

Andy, at al -

Pondering it a bit, here's what you may have been thinking of:  After
emission regs started taking effect, one thing that the OEMs did do to
control NOx (at part load) were vacuum switches that would
limit/eliminate vacuum advance to the distributor when the engine (and
hence the catalyst) was still cold.  The engine would run without
vacuum advance (i.e. like a dog) until it got warm enough and then the
thermal switch would enable it.  Under retarded spark, engine out NOx
is reduced because peak combustion pressures are reduced (which result
in lower temps and *that* reduces NOx). The retarded spark also
*increases* the temperature of the exhaust gas which yields some
improved oxidation of HC / CO prior the catalyst and (bonus) the hotter
exhuast gets the catalyst lit off quicker (which is when teh tailpipe
emissions really clean up).

Jim Burkhard