<VV> Thanks

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Feb 23 14:26:30 EST 2007

At 07:00 AM 2/23/2007, kaczmarek at charter.net wrote:
>Joe--
>I sold a tank like the one I'm getting from Lon back in 02 when I
>was busted flat and unemployed, I sent it UPS, I told them it was a
>Gas Tank, and they had no issue.
>
>I would be happy to pay Lon to box it up, but my tank was cleaned,
>sealed and painted, so UPS had no issue.  TO send a gas Tank by bus
>, that might have residual petroleum in it could be something they
>dont' want in the bus.

Wash the tank out with hot water and Dawn dish washing
detergent.    You can do this in the bath tub or shower.    No
biggie.   Flush it out two or three times if you are really
concerned.   You can then box  up the tank (but don't seal it up yet)
and take it to the shipper, and invite them to take a whiff of the
filler spout should there be any issues concerning gasoline after you
tell them that the tank has been thoroughly flushed so as to
guarantee that it's clean.

One other thing you *could* do is wash it out with AXE body
wash...  that stuff hangs onto whatever it's splashed onto...  it
will make the tank irresistible to women.

I washed out the '60 tank with Dawn when I attacked the bottom with a
torch and brazing rod (not a lot of choice but to repair a '60 tank
since nobody makes a replacement) so as to make sure there was
nothing left inside.    No problems, and that included the
seams.    I also did chase the insides with a LOT of compressed air.

It's also pretty handy if you have a piece of waterpumper rubber hose
handy...  clamp one end onto the filler spout and the other end onto
a tailpipe and run hot exhaust through the tank for a few minutes
after cleaning.    This will pretty much dry it out in short order
without using up a tankfull of compressed air.     Be careful since
the tank is gonna be HOT after a few minutes of this
treatment.     Then you can braze, weld, solder on it to your heart's
content without fear of its suddenly expanding to half again its
original volume.

And, there's no gas fumes to bother the shippers if you need to send
it somewhere.

tony..