<VV> Here we go again...

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:45:51 EST 2007

Just so we all know Ron, I went expensive on the first build, with KB
pistons and total seal rings.  That burnt me, too, when one of the pistons
got destroyed by a dropped valve seat.  Guess what?  The vendor isn't making
any more with none on the shelf.  I'm stuck with 5 KB pistons, rods and jugs
sitting on my shelf waiting on another run that MIGHT or MIGHT not happen,
decision based on demand.

With this knowledge in hand, I'm shooting myself in the foot by saying that
I will never go with a single run of off common brand pistons again, only
stuff I can buy off the shelf.  If other's follow suit, then I'll never get
my 6th piston and might as well throw $500+ dollars worth of stuff in the
recycle bin.

There are lots of people that go cheap and get by with it day in, day out.
I, however, was not so lucky this time.  That's the price we all pay when we
play this game.

And cheap is relative.  I had good confidence in what this well known racer
told me, "used assemblies with only a few miles, changed my mind and went
with a big bore engine", and I would buy from him again.  They were not for
sale until I asked the world for a KB piston.  He sold them to me at quite
an inexpensive price.  I measured and miked (sp?) and checked things
excessively before the install.

Not that my financial situation is anyone's business, but after you pay a
couple of grand on a rebuild, it's hard to justify it 2 years in a row on
the same car.

I hope and pray YMMV.

Barry