<VV> Mufflers-YIKES

kwoodke at comcast.net kwoodke at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 21:14:00 EST 2007

Oh my god, thanks! I got way more response than I thought possible. I really do appreciate it. I will check out a few prices and then do my duals thing. I hope I can let you hear them some time.

Someone asked for Vair stories well that's a challenge I can't refuse. My much beloved 65 coupe/4spd was equipped with state of the art JC Penney bias belted B60-13 tires on stock wheels. It had the simulated Mag wheel covers. Cool. I drove 70 miles round trip to work at this time (winter 73-74).Now think, those of you from the snowbelt may have an idea of the traction situation here, also the vair had settled somewhat so there I am with about 3" of ground clearance and 8" wide tires. Yet in 4 winters and 70,000 miles I never got stuck. And I had to be at work in the winter to do snow removal (yes like the VW ad).
 Well this particular day I went home early as we couldn't do anything with 6"+ snow on the ground and still falling. I was cruising on Interstate 80/94 at the Indiana-Illinois state line.
It is 6 lanes there (3 in each direction). I ended up in the left lane doing what I thought was max of about 45 to 50 mph. The tire tracks were wet and there was the usual slush buildup where ever the traffic hadn't cleared it. A guy in a big 4wd truck was slowly catching me. There happened to be a gap in traffic ahead in the middle lane in front of a Semi. I sped up till I was sure I was clear by a wide margin. I turned the wheel to merge right. When my right tire caught the slush between the lanes( I realized then it was about 8" deep)  it grabbed and I did an immediate 90 degree right turn and simultaneously started hydroplaning. I remember briefly being on the shoulder and then back in the left lane and somehow ended in the middle lane going in the correct direction. About this time my heart started again. I had slowed to 20 mph and and realized I probably was about to be booted by the Semi.

I must add here that while all this happening (in about 15 seconds) slush had covered all my windows and the wipers took 2 or 3 swipes to clear. So, terrified and blind at the same time.

OK as I realized I was alive and grabbed 2nd gear and floored it, I looked in my rearview mirror only to see all the cars behind my about a quarter mile back. They had the good sense to bail out and watch the idiot in the Corvair from a safe distance. I continued on and got off calmly at the next exit too embarrassed to face those people in case they may catch and see me. God does watch out for fools and drunkards.

Hope you enjoyed this true tale. My next one also involves snow.
Thanks again Keith Woodke.