<VV> Tie Rod Ends

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 22:31:11 EST 2007

Based on the answers I got to my original question (how much thread engagement do I need between the tie rod ends and the sleeve) I think I'm OK as is. But several folks have correctly pointed out that I should really deal with the root cause of my situation, which is that I am obviously off center (or at least my steering gear is).

  Evidently a previous owner installed the steering shaft to the gearbox stub without properly lining up the alignment marks. I centered the steering gear, but used some fuzzy thinking to deal with the shaft not being in the right position and ended up fudging the position a little.

  So tomorrow I plan to deal with that, either the right way (remove the steering shaft coupler, center the gear, and install the steering shaft in the correct orientation to the gear) or the temporary expedient way (center the gear, move the steering wheel to wherever it is straight and forget the marks lining up until I have more time). Then I'll readjust the tie-rods to make the car go straight.

  Thanks all for the gentle nudges!

  The original question:

  I just finished aligning my front end and centering the steering wheel. When I was all done, I noticed that one tie rod is fairly close to its maximum length. I would estimate that I have about 0.8 inches of thread engaged between each tie rod end and the adjusting sleeve. My question is: How much thread engagement is required as a minimum? How do you know if you've gone too far?

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on