<VV> Bleeders

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 12 23:28:27 EST 2007

You're not bursting my bubble; in fact you're wrong.
When bleeding the brake cylinder, one LOOSENS the bleeder screw, so that the
"cone-shaped end" is NOT in contact with its sealing surface. The
application of vacuum to the open end of the bleeder screw results in the
drawing of fluid and air out of the cylinder. The level of vacuum necessary
to evacuate the fluid/air mixture is more than enough to draw air in past
the bleeder screw threads.
I did say to LIGHTLY grease the bleeder screw threads. And yes, injecting
grease into the brake system is not a good thing, hence the "lightly"
admonition. Unless one is a complete idiot, no grease will get into the
fluid.
Smitty, you need to carefully re-read the post to which I was responding,
and also my response. You're way off target.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60