<VV> Re: Battery Tenders

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Jan 20 13:27:48 EST 2007

I use a Deltran "Battery Tender Plus" (a thoughtful  gift from son Jim) which
is in the $50+ price range.  It has 3 rates of  charge and switches
automatically from the 1.25 amp max rate, through the  intermediate rate to the final
float rate as indicated on the LED lights.   This unit enabled my original
Delco "Dustbuster" battery to last 11-1/2 years  before I had to replace it.  I
use it regularly on all my cars, especially  the Corvair that sits in the garage
for many months at a time.
    The secret to any "float charger" is that is should  maintain a 13.5 volt
charge on the battery which is high enough to keep it from  deteriorating and
yet not so high that it causes overcharging and loss of  electrolyte.  Even a
good lead acid battery will lose about 10%  of its charge per month if left
off a charger.  And if it stays too long at  a low charge, the plates will
sulfate and the battery will then refuse to take a  full charge.
    Frank "likes BIG batteries" Burkhard

In a message dated 1/19/2007 1:28:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,