<VV> Weber IDAs?

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 19:45:57 EST 2007

It's winter and we have whole boat load of snow, which is quite unusual really (hey, it's even snowing in Tucson!). So, my mind has been wandering to things I might be doing to get my cars ready for spring. One thought is to replace my Rochester four barrel with some other carb system. I'm really leaning toward tuned HVs. But, I started thinking about Webbers. I don't have room for triple throat IDAs, but I was wondering about dual throat IDAs. Yes, I know that the idea behind these carbs is that they can provide each cylinder with a single throat and that using a dual throat IDA is defeating that purpose; however, I have seen applications where dual throat, either IDA or DCOE have been used on a manifold that feeds more than one cylinder. (Hot Spridget engines come to mind.)

Is anyone running a pair of dual throat IDAs on their engine where the IDA is attached to the manifold through an adapter to the single carb mount? Has anyone modified the manifold on a Corvair cylinder head to accept a dual throat IDA? I know that Warren LeVeque offers a DCOE modified for progressive operation on turbo engines; has anyone modified an IDA for progressive operation? (Basically the same carb, just vertical instead of horizontal.)

This isn't a threat about cost, ultimate hp, practicality or anything reasonable. This is a threat on something a bit different.

Just after some ideas,
Joe White
CORSA, RMC