<VV> First Econoline PU

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue Jan 23 23:32:04 EST 2007

> If you can count on the recollections from four decades ago, it seems to me
> that the '61 Econolines and the '61 Corvair 95s were introduced very nearly
> at the same time, such that any difference provides no basis for either one
> to claim to be "first."
>
> --Bob

>From what I remember reading in the SAE papers, the Corvair 95's were "inspired" by the VW bus vehicles.  They had a pickup of sorts so I would think that one was "first"   I've got a Matchbox of the VW pickup (since I can't get a Rampy one dagnabbit!) and it has a very shallow bed and no ding dong ramp!  Bad design.  Plenty of leg room in the front though.

They did an A100 (Dodge FC pickup) on Overhaulin' and I couldn't believe how screwed up the engine installation was.  They had to go through the front doors and the whole passenger area is taken up by the engine box.  It makes you wonder why they even bothered making the darn things.  The thinking behind the Corvair (and VW) FC vehicles makes a lot more sense.  Engine in the back and all.

mikeH
65 Monza convertible
64 Rampy