<VV> engine repair question (no corvair)

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 18:04:15 EST 2007

I agree with Ed. I used to have an '89 Chevy 4wd K2500 automatic with a 350
engine. I'm not sure how much different the manual would be, and you didn't
say if it was 2wd or 4wd or which model. On mine, I don't think you could
even get the oil pan off with the engine in place. If you were thinking of
jacking the engine up from the motor mounts, there was only about 1 1/2
inches of clearance between the transmission and the tunnel so that's all
the extra clearance you could get under the engine. I don't think you could
get the crankshaft out of the block with only that much clearance, but you
maybe could get to most of the rod bearings and you could also probably get
to some of main bearings if you only wanted to replace the half that's on
the bearing cap. No way you could remove the crank with the block still in
the truck.

Lonny