<VV> Re: SPRING SPECS (where do i look?)

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 12:11:18 EST 2007

  From Chevrolet "Hobby Package" of info issued back then:

  64 Convert

  Front (left or right):

  # coils: 5.85 active, 7.85 total
Wire dia: 0.470
OD: 4.393
Free height: 11.12
Working: 6.42 inches @ 855 lb

  Rear Left:

  # coils: 6.50 active, 7.834 total
Wire dia: 0.486
OD: 4.425
Free height: 13.774
Working: 7.45 inches @ 1170 lb

  Rear Right:

  # coils: 6.50 active, 7.834 total
Wire dia: 0.486
OD: 4.425
Free height: 13.018
Working: 7.45 inches @ 1030 lb

  Tim Colson asked:

<<one of my corvair firends has made an alarming discovery on one of his
national winner cars.  the rear springs were 2 different sizes and
diameters.  soo
he changed them with new ones.  now he just called and found that the
front is
messed up also.  2 different diameters , and one with a rubber cushion
on it
like a rear.  now we are looking for correct measurements of front and
rear
springs for a 64 convert ,63 convert , and 63 coupe.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on