<VV> Corvair Hand Controls

Crispin Horning thekmus at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 17:53:09 EDT 2007

Talked to good friend of mine been using hand controls for 40+ years.
1 hand controls for modern auto shift installed is $800+, due to all stuff around steering column, almost every model has it's own
   mounts.
2 They have gone to paddle shift stuff for a stick shift, which will cost a bunch more
3. He does remember having hand controls on his dad's pickup, it used a motor cycle set up for the clutch and gas, and yes when shifting no hands on the wheel, not to safe, but to a teenager he didn't know any better. Just about any old style unit would work on a PG Corvair. He used to move them from car to car. I removed a couple when he was selling them and didn't have the time to do it himself. If you are dealing with a company that hasn't been in the business for at least 20 years they don't know anything about making do in the old days. May need to find some old hand controls to fit for the young lad. I can get the name of  a place in MS, contract me off line. As for the older gent, I'm sorry but need to suck it up and work out a trade with somebody  with
PG, to be a safe driver, wife and I didn't like it either but when we got back into the Corvair fun, it has PG with A/C. That stock 110 with PG does run pretty good, don't think I'll win any autocross against the pony cars like I did  in the 60-70's or jump HO Mustang
off the line.

Butch, 65 Monza