<VV> TV adjustment

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 10 18:42:59 EDT 2007

OK, to keep the situation apprised for everyone,

First I did this,
With the carbs synchronized and the accelerator linkage fully
disconnected from the TV lever, block the carb cross shaft at wot.
Pull hard on the accelerator rod (TV rod), (usually takes a 20 lb
pull to overcome the detent spring in the Powerglide valve body).
Holding the rod turn the swivel until it just fits in the hole of the
cross shaft lever.  Now rotate the swivel five more turns to lengthen
the rod (toward the rear of the car).

And this is what happened:

I unhooked the return spring in order to be able to pull the TV rod
past the detent on the PG and reattach.  Well, first, it's a good
idea to remove the rubber boot from the fire wall.  I'll be
reordering one of those today.  Then, as I pulled on the TV rod to
get it past detent, it damn near came back to the alternator.  Well,
THAT can't be good.  No telling what the #$%@ I've done now.  At its
current position, there is no way to adjust the connecting screw to
the cross link arm.  I would have to  move the TV rod back at least 1
1/2 " to even connect it, much less move it back 5 turns.  I jacked
up the car on the rear drivers side in order to check the connections
to the tranny.  I could have swore that I pulled a connection loose.
Everything is still connected, although I don't know what is going on
in the tunnel to the gas pedal.  I suspect if there is a loose
connection, that's where I'm going to find it.

Then I did this:

Remove the two linkages from the TV belcrank.
Have someone floor the accelerator (in the cabin).  (I got my two
friends Mr. 4x4 and Mr. Brick)
Manually rotate the belcrank FULLY CW (thru detent).
Adjust swivel on throttle linkage from the pedal to just go into the
bellcrank.
Reinstall the other linkage (to the carbs).
With throttle pedal still floored, adjust swivel at carb crossover
for full open throttles.

And this is what happened:

I was able to do steps 1-5. When I try to reinstall the swivel at the
carb, there is not enough tread on the rod to allow that.  The treads
start about 1 1/2 " past the connection.

In addition, the gas pedal is stuck to the floor.  Also, the
bellcrank swivel will not go fully clockwise without the linkage to
gas pedal touching the undercarriage.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, rust
free, w/ 77K (no worries about reaching 78K anytime soon)