<VV> More on piston rings concern or.. improvement ?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 19:25:18 EDT 2007

Daniel,
Generally, it is best to have wear surfaces change relative position.  It
spreads the wear around.  Engineers do all sorts of things to try to assure
that this happens.  Lifers are ground so they rotate.  Gears use an even
number of teeth on one gear and an odd number of the mating gear.  Valves
are sometimes fitted with rotaters so that they turn relative to the seats.

I'd think you'd be better off leaving the rings free to rotate.  The end gap
is nearly zero, and I doubt seriously that it makes any difference if two
line up - there's just not enough flow through them to matter.

Roger Gault
BSME