<VV> Re: Gear Oil Blowing out Vent

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 10:15:43 EDT 2007

I sent the post further below, and received an interesting post as  follows:

",,,
I have always noticed a little bit of gear oil blow out on every Corvair
except 68s and 69s. They have a baffle inside the cover that seems to stop
it...."

Questions: 1) does anyone have a 68 - 69 axle box cover they would like to
sell (if so, please contact me off line), and: 2) can one R&R the axle  cover,
in a late model PG car, without pulling the drive train?

Much obliged for any information offered,
Mike Mauro

"...For some  time now, my 67 PG coupe has had a propensity to blow axle gear
lube out the  vent. As one might imagine, the tendency is greatest when the
lube level is at  its highest, proper level (just at the bottom of the
fill/inspection hole),  When enough lube has blown out to lower the level to 1-pint
low, the blow out  stops. I'm using synthetic gear lube, but the blow out has
equal with synthetic or standard lube. After a run down the highway  and
stopping, the drip offs typically equal two or three spots about 2" in  diameter.

Has anyone had the same issue and solved it; and, if so, what was the  root
cause?

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Mike Mauro..."