<VV> Will it never end?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jun 21 23:17:52 EDT 2007

Broken starter nose- most likely ring gear issue or flywheel out of
round, typically due to loose rivets. I assume you have a flywheel since
it is a Spyder...

Top motor is hiding in what would be the rear package tray in a coupe or
sedan. So in a convertable it is below the top well. Yes, you have to
raise the top to get to it! If one person pushing the button up while
another is standing on the rear floor pulling up on the top does not
raise it, remove the rear seat and quarter panel interior trim. Now
remove the bottom bolt holding the top cylinders in place on both sides
and the top will come up easily by hand. For some reason this is
remembered as easier than remoing the top cylinder bolt, but you could
try that also...

BUT, if there is no sound when the top switch is pushed upwards, and
there is sound when the switch is pushed downwards, I would suspect the
switch. Just jump the contacts with a wire and see what happens. Just
don't jump any of the wires on the switch to ground, and don't jump all
three at the same time, only two at a time. One of the three
permutations should raise the top.

Frank DuVal