<VV> Thermocouple adventure

Stephen Upham contactsmu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 10:58:16 EDT 2007

I received my Westack thermocouplers for the CHT
gauge.  I plan to attach the two couplers to the
center cylinder plug on each head.  That said, I
understand that they go under the plug at the treads.
Should I place it (A) between the sealing ring on the
plug or (B) between the sealing ring and the base of
the plug.  If (A) wouldn't the wire make changing the
plug a $#%&^ headache and if (B) wouldn't the wire
come loose and possibly slip into the nether world of
deep turkey roaster never to be seen again until the
cover was removed?
Also, the instructions state, " This thermocouple
"error" (readings +or -different than the actual
temperatures) is a normal characteristic of self
powered thermocouple systems.  If possible, locate the
thermocouple COLD JUNCTION connections to patch cable
away from heat (or extreme cold) to minimize thermal
"error"."
The cable is 4' 3" long.  I suspect that it should run
under the turkey roaster, but what the hay do I know.
I'm an English teacher, not an engineer.  Where do I
run the cable to "minimize" the "error" rate?  Also, I
have to run a "patch" to the dial at the dash.  (A)
what gauge cable, and can this be standard wiring type
wire, (B) best way to attach the thermocouple ends to
the patch wire, (C) best route forward from the engine
compartment.

Stephen U