<VV> 2007 convention hotel

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Wed Mar 14 07:26:18 EST 2007

At 12:56 AM 3/14/2007, Clark Hartzel wrote:
>You guys are confusing "reserving a room" with "paying for a room".  Corsa
>requires "paying for a room" (one day) in advance to discourage last minute
>cancelations.  The hotel would accept a credit card to "reserve" but the
>copy of driver's license, etc. is to "pay" for one day.
>You can understand they want to know who is paying by requiring the license.
>Any Tom, Dick or Harry could steal a credit card and try to use it to pay
>for something.  Same thing if your local store wants to see your ID.  They
>are just trying to prevent credit card fraud.  Bite the bullet and mail them
>them a check!  We want you at our convention!  See ya there.
>Clark Hartzel

Absolute nonsense!

As EVERYONE else who has travelled extensively and made reservations at
hotels, my experience has been that the card number is sufficient.  The
sole purpose of the card number is to guarantee the payment of a one day
stay if you cancel within a one or two day window prior to the start of
your expected arrival.  Further, I have never been asked for my driver's
license with my card for payment.

I would suggest that anyone receiving this request when making a
reservation immediately demand to speak to the manager, engage him in
lengthy discussion, and if he does not accept your card number alone ask
for the phone number of the person he reports to.  If much of their time
becomes involved with dealing with irate members of the public they might
see the error of their ways, or they might just decide that the policy is
taking too much of their time for a silly and unique policy.

Ken