<VV> Painting? push rod tubes

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 25 00:39:06 EST 2007

Keith...

Times, they are a changin'

When the book was written, what % of Corvair owners do you think might have
been using synthetic oil?  My bet is something LESS that 1%.  That was for
Buick and Caddy owners.

Today, what % of Corvair owners are using synthetic oil?  I'd guess that
(for those cars not obviously using/burning oil), it is likely in the 80%
range.

So (without debating the actual degree temp diff [if there really is one] of
painted VS non-painted PR tubes) using modern lubricants, do you really
think there will be a significant advantage to painting the tubes?  I'm of
the opinion that if it makes you happy, then... by all means... do it.
Realistically, probably does not make a significantly measurable bit of
difference if using synthetic oil.

No empirical data here and not believing the empirical data based on 30W
dino juice either.

I sure as heck would not start taking things apart in order to get to the PR
tubes so that they could be painted.

Later, JR