<VV> otto 20 cam vs. clarks 270 cam

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 7 15:53:32 EDT 2007

Years ago I replaced the stock 140 cam with an OT20 during a complete
rebuild.  Frankly, I didn't notice anything that couldn't be attributed to
the rebuild itself.  No cool sounding idle, no huge extra kick in the rear -
no real suprise, I wasn't expecting much.  None of these cams is going to
make a huge difference; the GM engineers weren't idiots.  The problems with
the GM cams are more related to valve float, etc. than they are to overall
breathing.  The OT30 would probably give you a lopier idle, but at the cost
of some low end - not a peachy idea in traffic.

If you want a big improvement you're going to have to do something more
serious, like fix the exhaust system by going to some angle tube heads or go
with a 3.1L conversion.

Low buck approach is 3.55:1 rear end, little tires, and earplugs for the
highway.

Or, you could get really stupid like me.  My 3.6L stroker is in the car and
being hooked up.  Pretty soon I have to get up nerve to try to start it.
;-)

Roger