<VV> Detroit Historical Museum/Fort Wayne (Long commentary)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat May 26 11:56:12 EDT 2007

At 14:25 5/24/07 -0400, Garth Stapon provided this link:

>http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=8992

which discusses the sad fate of a collection of historical cars donated to
the City of Detroit. Then,  at 21:30 5/24/07 -0400, Clark Hartzel wrote:

> >>snip<<  It was sad seeing cars that were donated,
>sitting uncovered, with dust and bird poop all over them.  Many windows in
>the building were broken and pigeons made it their home.  The Detroit Area
>Corvair Club even offered to restore the 1960 Corvair for them but they
>weren't interested.  Anything run by government is screwed up!  They ought
>to sell the cars to collectors, which would "save" the cars, and make
>Detroit some money. >>snip<<

What I found interesting about the whole debate was the controversy
concerning a collection of Packards that were loaned to museums in
Ohio.  It seems that there was some understanding or assumption that these
cars could not be used for anything other than static displays. To me, this
reveals a rather alarming narrow minded-ness among some people (government
officials?) who are supposedly interested in preservation.  Consider for a
moment the disposition of those Packards as compared to the other cars
languishing in the Ft Wayne warehouse:

1)  They are no doubt being kept in proper storage and are regularly on
display to the public.

2)  The Packards are obviously being maintained in operating condition and
get exposure outside of their host museums for parades and reportedly for
an ad hoc museum-based limousine service (which seems fitting for the marque).

3)  Apparently some of the cars are mechanically reliable enough to be
loaned or rented to people outside of the museum staff.

The main point is that the loaned Packards are at least being used for
their intended purpose rather than being allowed to sit and rot. However,
the most controversial latter situation merits further consideration.  All
too often, historical automobiles, tools, machinery, etc get set up in
non-working static displays which, while it prevents them from being lost
to the scrappers torch, do not offer much more than a visual reference to
the past.  This is much better than looking at pictures of the same objects
but often does not give the viewer any appreciation of the acquired skills,
knowledge, hard work, sweat, (perhaps even blood) that their ancestors
experienced when living with these objects on a day-to-day basis long
ago.  To my mind, the ideal museum might have several vintage autos,
machines, or whatever is of interest kept in a condition such that visitors
(perhaps for a fee) could operate the real thing for themselves to fully
experience the sights, smells, noise, vibrations, etc.

Some examples of this concept do/have exist(ed):
a) Some 15 years ago my wife and I visited Greenfield Village (part of the
Henry Ford Museum complex) where, at that time, one could rent and drive a
Model T Ford (we unfortunately ran out of time to do this).  For those
unfamiliar, driving a T is more like driving a tractor than a car.  I know
GV still has a fleet of Model T's for visitors to have rides in, but I do
not know if there still are any opportunities for the public to actually
drive them.
b) Quite a number of railroad museums (check here -
http://www.railroaddata.com/rrlinks/Engineer_Experience_Programs/ ) offer
visitors the opportunity to rent a locomotive (mostly diesel-electric, but
some steam) and operate it under supervision of their staff.  Imagine the
historical perspective and appreciation one would get of being, for
example, an apprentice fireman on a steam locomotive for a few hours:  The
noise, smells of grease and smoke, heat from the fire, and sore back from
shovelling coal could not be replicated by even the most sophisticated
display.

I think it would be very interesting to have a couple of Corvairs available
at our CORSA Conventions (perhaps for rent - and maybe a Falcon, VW, or
Valiant for comparison) that could be driven by visitors to obtain a
hands-on historical experience.  This might be easiest to do at the
autocross, but could perhaps work for some sort of tour that permits the
driver to experience a variety of roads.

Sorry to be long on this...but it has been something of interest to me lately.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI