<VV> Question from Newbie concerning annoying oil leak

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Mon May 28 15:11:31 EDT 2007

Serge, Welcome to the quirky world of Corvairs. The main shaft that drives
the transmission runs from the pilot bushing thru the clutch splines and
thru the differential (hollow pinion gear shaft) to the front end of the
transmission. The output shaft of the transmission is hollow.  Where the
main shaft passes into the differential from the pressure
plate/clutch/flywheel end there is a seal located in a hollow (about 3")
tube that sticks out toward the engine. This seal is held in with a big lock
washer . Both of these go inside that tube. The throwout bearing rides on
this tube- I believe it is called a "clutch release bearing shaft". This is
the path for transmission and differential shared oil to get into the
bellhousing. There is a drain hole in the bottom of some bellhousings from
which this oil may seep, or where the bellhousing is mated to the
differential.  If it is leaking between the bellhousing and the engine, it
has to be engine oil. It should smell different than engine oil if it is
rear axle oil.

Good Luck

Chuck S.